i have two optical usb mice, big and small. sometimes, my laptop xp sp3 failed to recognize the big one, with yellow sign “USB not recognized bla bla bla…”
then i found this :
Method 2: Disable power management of the USB hub
Note If you perform the following procedure, you may also reduce the battery life on a portable computer.
Use this method if method 1 does not work. To disable power management of the USB hub, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type Devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. The Device Manager window opens.
2. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
3. Right-click a USB Root Hub in the list, and then click Properties. The USB Root Hub Properties dialog box is displayed.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Click to clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box, and then click OK.
6. Repeat steps 3 through 6 for each USB Root Hub in the list.
7. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.
Windows XP recognizes the new device.
8. Close the Device Manager window.